Monday, July 28, 2008

Bible reading thoughts

reading through Judges and Mark. here are a few thoughts from today's reading:

Judges 4-6
one thing real quick...the Bible i am reading through does not mark it's verses, so you will have to dig through the text yourself to find where i am at. sorry, i know it is a pain...but you might find something you can comment back on! : )

k...judges chapters 4-6
story of deborah
  • she was a judge and prophet. that was weird to me, thought the woman were supposed to keep their mouth shut??? (in the OT, of course...lol)
  • people of israel continue to sin. not too much different from me so far!
  • speaking of this time before the Lord called deborah to lead an attack, the author says that warriors became fat and sloppy, no fight left in them...God chose new leaders. at this point i am having to ask myself who the Lord is speaking to?
  • the command is for all people to stop what they are doing and listen, listen to the story of the victory God performed for the israelites.
  • clan of reuben had lots of division and camp-fire discussions. sometimes it seems like i am talking a lot...obeying very little
  • "thus may all God's enemies perish, while his lovers be like the unclouded sun" there isnt much in between here.
that brings us to the story of Gideon
  • people went back to evil! if you are following along in the story....you have to be saying, your kidding right? they didnt...yep they did! how often do we forget how good God has been to us and then we go right back to how we were?
  • God's angel goes to Gideon and tells him, you are going to be the guy who saves israel from midian. Gideon is like, not me! I am from the smallest tribe and i am the runt of the litter! i have been dealing with this here lately. i have been thinking of the apostle paul...that when we are weak, He is strong and the Lord said to paul, my grace is sufficient for you. and for me too!
  • God's promise to Gideon is this, " I will be with you..." i know that is more than enough, but i am praying for the Lord to make that real, more real than it is already for me.
have to get to Mark later. read Mark 7 that is what i will try and comment on later tonight, maybe sometime later this week. we'll see : ) have a good week!

2 comments:

Gary said...

Dano.....I certainly hope those are "Bible" reading thoughts and not "Bile" reading thoughts!!!!! OOOHHHHH!
Gary

Anonymous said...

I think we often like to think the OT is pretty much obsolete ti our lives today - but that is so not right!!! I remember some years ago reading about the building of the original temple and thinking - what is wrong with these people - God laid it all out for them in such infinite detail and they still messed up. God really hit me between the eyes - with the fact that HE has also laid it all out for us and we mess stuff up all of the time. I am so grateful that I serve a patient God!!!