Tuesday, July 8, 2008

leadership...

ok, i read a passage of scripture monday that has been on my mind a lot since then.  Mark 3:7-12  
early on in Jesus' ministry, people are flocking him to heal them.  apparently, he wanted to get away a little bit.  the demons, know who he is and they are scared to death of the guy and they start screaming out declaring who He really is.  b/c even back then that was a popular question...who is this guy, really? and Jesus has the perfect opportunity for even the demons to declare who he is and lead a pretty significant amount of people...well, to himself...and He says to the demons, DONT say anything! wierd, huh?  

THEN, even more weird, He picks and exclusive group to go up on the mountain with him, then he decides on the 12.  this is Mark 3:13-19 . here he unleashes the plan, ok...you guys, you 12...your gonna do it.  ready, ready, BREAK!  huh?  oh, i will be with you...but i am sending you out. and you, you are gonna have authority.  pretty much because...I, well...I hand-picked you.

huh, i wonder if this is true of me? and you?  i wonder?  what do you think?



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Daniel - I seem to be in "why me" mode lately - when I know I need to be in "why not???". The call on others' lives are so often much easier to see and accept than the one on our own. We most definitely are called to further the work of Jesus - but just get so darn busy living life. Wait--- can't I also do that in the midst of living life? I think that is the key. Living a purposeful life everyday - going out with a purpose to further the kingdom of God. Don't think I do a very good job of that most times.

dscott said...

good point fran. in the busyness of life is where we need to be advancing the name of Jesus. b.c if we arent, then when are we?

and me 2, i do a terrible job of it most of the time. falling forward is the key though.

Gary said...

It makes me think of one of my favorite stories in the Bible found in Acts Ch.4. When John and Peter were brought before the "leaders".

13When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

It don't take no "Harvard man" to do God's work! Unschooled, ordinary folk will do! What do they need to do to prepare.....spend time with Jesus!

Pretty simple ain't it!