Monday, October 12, 2009

baseball

if you know me very well, if you don't let me enlighten you, i did not grow up a baseball fan. in fact, after the 94-95 MLB strike, i said i would never watch it again. i did not play baseball growing up, ever! no little league, no jr. high, no wiffle ball, no soft ball, no nothing. i didn't like it, why would i play it?

well, it is funny how your kids can change you... eric played baseball all summer and i help coach. we went to springfield cardinal games, we went to st. louis cardinals games, we practiced two days a week and sometimes had two games a week. we started practicing in may and played games until the very end of august.

eric improved so much through out the year and i had a blast. i was like a kid learning how to play. (i didnt let the parents know about my baseball knowledge or skill level...lol) i helped to coach with a buddy of mine from HS and a friend from down the street. it was a blast!

but now, i am a fan. a cards fan. not much cheering after their weekend elimination from the ALDS. and i have to ask my self, how do life long fans handle the disappointment? like cubs fans, year after year... you lose. how do you get geared up for the next season? now, let me say, i love wrigley field. eric and i got to go there last summer with a HS friend of mine and his son...and it is awesome! so much history and tradition and such raving fans....how do they do it?

anyway, just some random thoughts... i have a goal of getting back to more regular blogging. no promises, we'll see how that goes.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

It is definitely tough to take the off-season. Soon there will be hot-stove season, though. Trades will be talked and rumored, and Spring Training will be here before we know it--at least that's what I have to tell myself

dscott said...

i guess your right aaron. great to hear from you on here. hope your doing well buddy.

Gary said...

I wish you could have experienced it in the late 50's and 60's. It was totally different back then. (much better actually) If you don't have the Ken Burns Baseball set, you should get it and watch it. It is an awesome visual history. Example, did you know in Babe Ruths day that if you hit a ball over the fence on the bounce it was a home run, not a ground rule double? So, how many of Ruths homers were of that variety? Amazingly.....zero. It is my favorite sport mainly because of the long, unique history.

Tara said...

Okay, I know I'm a girl and everything, but let me be the first to point out that "my" Cards are in the National League. Ha! Anyway, I grew up listening to them and seeing them on TV every day, but did not become a fan until I was an adult. Love em, watch every day I can, can't wait to see what Spring brings. Holliday? Ankiel? DeRosa? Hope to see em all!

dscott said...

haha Tara! i can't believe it took a girl from booger county to point out that mistake! i must have been watching or listening to something about the alds. or it just shows my true baseball knowledge! haha