Friday, December 5, 2008

Bible reading thoughts

it has been a while since i posted one of these...i had a minute, so, here is what i am thinking about today...

in Matthew 4 i read about the calling of the first disciples, and i had to ask...what is it about these guys that they instinctively dropped everything to follow Jesus? you can read about it here. how "holy" and "spritual" were these guys that they gave up everything they knew to follow the One they didnt really know...i mean, surely they had heard of Jesus...surely they must have had some foreknowledge and had seen something amazing in Him to be able to drop everything and just follow...right?

If you clicked the above link, you didnt read this verse. this verse got me to thinking today...a little detail i have looked over. the verse says, he saw two brothers..., maybe they had not been seen before, maybe they just did their job every day just like you and me and had never really been seen or noticed. and maybe no one had ever called on them to follow, to believe that they could actually do what Jesus was going to lead them to do... maybe it wasn't that they saw something so great in Jesus, maybe it was that Jesus saw something so great in them! maybe he even sees it in you and i...

maybe i am reading too much into it, but, for me...this is huge! to know that Jesus sees me is inspiring, to know that he believes in me to do what he is calling me to...that, to put it mildly, is helpful information!

and, in reference to fran and my comments on my last post, this fact seems huge to me. they were doing their job, they were fishermen...and Jesus simply says, come follow me, i will make you fishers of men. i will take what you know, and make it more important, more lasting...i will take your normal job and make it spiritual! no smoke, no big experience, just come and follow me...that's it. that's all you have to do...i will do the rest.... and i believe that you can do it, b/c i see you...i know what you're doing...i see you working and i believe i can take your normal job and if you follow me, i will turn it into something tremendous for my name!

this is where i am at today....you too? (inside joke...lol)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Daniel - I think another thing I see here - is again, they were doing their job - a good job, a productive job. They were doing good things, things that no doubt needed to be done - but Jesus called them to a better life. That whole higher calling thing. There was already a higher purpose all laid out for them. I think so many times I miss that. I get so caught up in "my life" - good things, productive things - that I miss where God really wants me to be. These guys were so available - so ready - so willing. I want to be there. I know----they got to see Jesus face to face - but can't I also....I just don't look most of the time. Thanks - keep posting - I need it.